Sunday, April 20, 2008

allow myself to introduce... myself

Why is there so little information on playing lead electric in a worship setting? I miss the simplicity of being a worship leader - buy a Taylor 310ce (or a McPherson if you have the means), get yourself a cut capo, play the chords on the page and sing the melody just like the CD. I don't mean to over simplify... it's a hard job being a worship leader, but when it comes to playing electric there isn't a clear cut method. There are thousands of combinations of guitar/effects/amps, hardly any tabs telling you what to play, and very little direction. It's like the church gives you a little slap on the butt on your way to the stage and says, "Play something amazing" and that's about it.

That's why I'm starting this project. 1) Because I have a lot of information in my head that I'd love to share and hopefully help teach the things I learned the hard way, and 2) To hear what you have to say.

I'll write some ideas, you add yours in the comments, and hopefully we'll get a conversation going! I plan to write on the following topics: effects/tone, styles and techniques of playing, fitting into a band musically, faith in context of musical worship, and whatever else pops into my head. I hope you enjoy it and I hope we can learn from each other!

1 comment:

Brett said...

Am I still allowed to read this blog? I don't play guitar in a worship setting. If only could give me a chance! I can play 3 chords! Ha.