Sunday, April 27, 2008

The over-haul is almost done!

As I mentioned in a previous post I've been trading up and changing out a lot of gear lately. A lot of it depended on the attenuator (Weber Mass Lite 100) being made and shipped. It finally came and I was able to put everything together. The Diamond Pedals' Memory Lane happened to get here at the same time (grown up Christmas!) so I had lots to work on. The Memory Man didn't fit on my pedal board so I had to rip up almost every pedal to reorganize. The industrial strength Velcro you can get at home improvement stores is AMAZING! I had to cut the Velcro apart on my volume pedal and each time I pulled the bottom piece of Velcro off the board it ripped the paint up with it. So I got to repaint almost everything too...

Here's a picture of my newly created rack (sorry for the blurry and poorly lit pics. I was packing everything up when I hastily decided to snap some pictures):



The new Weber Mass attenuator is in the bottom right. I also made custom length Mogami cables and some connectors on the back so I can just plug everything in on the bottom instead of fishing around for inputs inside the rack.



Here's the pedal board with the memory Lane on it (bottom left). I also added the Fender foot switch right above it to work as an expression pedal for the Line6 DL4. I was able to get ride of the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb (which I never liked) and the Boss EQ pedal since I have EQ and reverb in the rack now.




I can also finally use the 2x12 I've had sitting unused with two Celestian AlNiCo Blues. The cab only handles 30 watts and my head is 100. The attenuator lowers the watts to a usable level. The math works out that for every 3db of attenuation the wattage is cut in half. -6 db of attenuator makes my amp 25W and ready for the cab!

6 comments:

rhoy said...

hey i have both sfx-03 & Diamond ML. Funny because I also use a Webber, but I have a mini mass instead. i was also trying to complete a post regarding the gears i use for my worship team gigs

electric community said...

wow, small world! How do you like the sfx-03? I like it but I don't love it. I've been debating trying out a Fulltone Fulldrive. Let know when you're post is up, I'll check it out!

rhoy said...

i like sfx-03 and that's my primary od. i've been using it for over a year now. i love the first channel when its just a little bit of gain (around 12 o'clock or less). higher gain is good (better than some). i find the 2nd channel a little darker but has some good lead tones. recently, i purchased a vl sparkle drive for my low-gain od and have my sfx-03 gain around 1-2 o'clock. every once in a while, i stack the 2 together to get a more saturated sound.

and yeah, i would definitely look at fd2, it tried it out in a store and they sound pretty much the same. i guess if you need an od & boost, then go for it. and you might get a closer sound if your covering a band. i have a low-gain amp so i love having that 2nd channel on the sfx.

i will sure let you know once i have the post up on my site. happy playing!

electric community said...

Cool, sounds similar to how I have mine set up. I use the first channel for light gain, the second channel for rhythm when I need to rock, and the first channel with the TS-9 (analog man mod) after it for lead/solo. I really like that last one. The tube screamer cuts through but sounds too thin imo, adding the sfx-03 before it fills in all missing frequencies nicely.

rhoy said...

Just semi-completed my gear page. Just the stuffs that I currently use:

http://odnalor.org/wp/my-gear-page

Thx

Anonymous said...

hey, how did you get the fender footswitch to act as an expression pedal for the dl4??