Tuesday, September 9, 2008

New geeeetar



I'm the proud new owner of a 2001 G&L ASAT Bluesboy. G&L is a cool company started by Leo Fender (of Fender) after he sold Fender to CBS and after he worked with Music Man. Leo claimed G&L were the best instruments he ever made. They make good stuff. The model I got is essentially a high end Tele but instead of two single coils, has a seth lover humbucker in the bridge. I'm blown away by the range of sounds it can make! The tone knob has a lot of usable sounds for each pickup combination and each pickup sounds good. It can go from creamy blues to twang with the flip of a switch and the roll of the tone knob.

Am I getting rid of my blue ES-137? No. I've always been a gibson guy, and while I LOVE the sound of a gibson, they really only get one tone. Don't get me wrong, I love that tone, but I want some extra versatility. Right now I'm using two guitars - the ES-137 and a Gibson Les Paul (the brown one in the picture at the top of this site). They sound really similar so instead of having two guitars that sound similar I figured I'd replace the Les Paul and have two different sounding guitars. Also I got spoiled by the nice neck of the ES-137. The Les Paul is mostly rough mahogany with a light satin finish. Compared to the ES-137 it fees like I chopped down a tree and put some strings on it. The G&L has a super smooth glossed neck and nicely rounded frets. It's buttery!!

Why this model? I wanted the fender sound but I personally think strats are too thin sounding for what I play. I tried every model of Fender Tele and G&L ASAT and this was my favorite. I liked the necks on G&Ls better than Fenders too, they're thinner and fit my hand better.

I guess I'll find out in a few weeks how much I really love it. So far so good. The only problem I ran into is the metal box around the bridge. I usually rest my right hand on the strings I'm not playing when I do lead stuff and it felt weird rubbing on the metal. I'm sure my hand will find it's place after a while though.

4 comments:

rhoy pamparo said...

hey mike, i'm also in the market for another guitar and was kinda looking at a fender tele. but this config looks better with the humbucker in the bridge. please let me know how it works out for you. thx

Karl said...

Hey, I saw your sig on the gearpage. Really nice blog! Mind if I put you on my blogroll?

Mike said...

Karl - definitely. I'll roll you too. What are the big green MIDI guys on your board?

Rhoy - So far so good. I have a gig tonight so I'll know how it sits in the mix. Your best bet is to find a G&L dealer (http://www.glguitars.com/us%20dealers/gl_dealers.html) and try them out. The shop will probably sell Fender too so you can compare. Like I said in the post I like the neck of the G&Ls much better than the fenders.

Karl said...

Hey Mike. Thanks for the blogroll. Those big ugly green things are Damage Control Timeline's. They're really good sounding digital delays with midi capabilites to let them access 128 presets, 10 at a time. They are enormous, but I'm loving 'em right now.