Thursday, November 6, 2008

Warming up

I recently realized I need to do a better job of warming up before gigs. I do a good job at home when I practice but when I play out somewhere time is usually limited and as soon as I get set up it's time for sound check and rehearse. The first song or two in rehearsal is usually relatively rough for everyone in the band as we get used to our mixes and our bodies warm up. I wonder if I could speed that up by getting there a few minutes earlier and running through some hand exercises before sound check.

I've also realized it's important to mentally warm up and when I'm playing at church, spiritually warm up. When I play at my sunday night church there's a 5:00 & 7:00 service. The band prays together and talks through the music before the 5:00, but between services we eat dinner (in about 30 minutes) and then go strait to playing again. There have been several times where we start the first song and my brain is still at dinner. I think I'll try finding my own little space and spend a few minutes getting ready.

This picture has nothing to do with the post, but I took it at my halloween gig and I want to post it!

No comments: