Monday, December 8, 2008

Things from this weekend

I had a busy but good weekend and I'm left with a few unconnected thoughts. Here they are in no particular order:

Loving the G&L. When I first got the G&L I went through a honeymoon period where it was all I played. When that period ended I decided my other guitars were feeling neglected so I've been playing them and ignoring the G&L. I used the G&L at two churches this weekend, for the first time since I built my new pedal board, and I was loving the sounds that came out! This may have been the first time I played the G&L through the Tim overdrive. Oh so sweet. I still love my ES-137, but after yesterday the G&L might be my favorite.

Blue Ray. I was watching John Mayer's "Where the light is"... again... on DVD Friday night. We have a HD TV and I watch a HD music channel that has live concerts all day long and a sad though crossed my mind as I was watching the DVD, "DVDs are worse than cable TV." To make things worse my house mate who installs high end home theaters for a living walked in, looked at it, and asked if it was TV or a DVD. I could tell by his tone he was saying, "that doesn't look very good." I had him look up what kind of costs he can get on a blue ray player since he gets all sorts of vendor deals. Unfortunately good (note: good) blue ray players are still expensive, even with his discount. On a whim he called a retail store he used to work at to see if they have any last-year models on clearance. They had one left for the player he recommended and in order to get rid of it they had marked it down 60%. That was a steal so we went and got it! We stopped by my housemate's showroom and grabbed "Where the light is" on blue ray and took it home, hooked everything up, and watched it. Oh. My. Gosh. The difference was stunning. The picture was about what I expected from an HD source but the audio blew me away! I didn't realize the strides audio formats have made since Dolby digital. This disc was encoded with TrueHD in 96KHz/24 bit and we have the player hooked up to the receiver with multi-channel analog cables (basically means no digital compression, bit for bit transfer). Anyway, that's a bunch of tech speak to say it sounded AMAZING! The individual sounds aren't necessarily more clear, but the 3D image (where the sound sits in a surround sound mix) was crystal clear. I could go on and on about this but I'll just leave it at "I'm blown away by Blue Ray in ways I didn't expect."

Rockin at church. I know this goes against most of what I say on this blog. I preach simplicity and serving the song, but when the worship leader says he wants a rock song... I'll bring it :) Last week when I wasn't playing they did some Christmas tunes in a country style. This week we did Christmas songs in a rock style. I was told, "think Foo Fighters 'All My Life'" for Angels we have Heard on High. Haha, ok. Don't try this at home, but during the solo I played a 24 note measure (eighth note triplets at 130 bmp). Good to get that out of my system from time to time!!

3 comments:

Phillip said...

Not to nitpick, but I think you meant to say that you played sixteenth note triplets. =)

lespaulplayerdoctor said...

heh... i wish I had been there to see that!

electric community said...

Oh true! 16th note triplets. I was thinking 3 per eighth note.