Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tube change!


I noticed this week my tubes are taking longer to warm up and the low end is flabby. My amp didn't used to sound like this, so my tubes must be dying. I made it 15 months on these and I played a lot, so I guess that's about normal. I didn't change the preamp tubes last time and I'm not sure if the previous owner changed them the last time he changed tubes. I have a record of the date he changed them, but not whether it was power and pre, or just power. Preamp tubes can go a long time without being changed, but I'm saying it's time now.

I'm planning on getting Winged "C"s for the EL34 power tubes and Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp tubes. I have Winged "C" power tubes right now and I like them. No idea what my current preamp tubes are but I've heard really good things about the Tung-Sols. To you guys that know way more about tubes: does that sound like a good plan?

I'm lucky to have a place called Savage Audio just a few miles from my house. They build amps and repair vintage stuff and do great work. The down side is they have a two week wait to change tubes. Last time I asked if I could be on a list and just bring my amp in when it's time but they said no, the amp has to sit on a shelf for 13 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes until they get around to changing the tubes and biasing. I'd do it myself but I don't have the equipment for biasing and I don't want to shock myself to death draining capacitors. Plus they guarantee their work and are liable if they blow the amp up or shock themselves to death. I only have the one amp so I'll have to borrow amps here for a couple weeks. Now to find people with nice amps that aren't using them....

2 comments:

lespaulplayerdoctor said...

Yeah, the preamp tube change will be great. The Tungs have a nice harmonic break up, I bet will be killer on your Marshall.

BTW, Nice cutsie pic up there with the penguins. Lol.... Good show.

and sucks about having to leave your amp. That means playing like missing a string.
Hopefully you'll get to play a sweet amp in the meanwhile.

electric community said...

they're in TUBES, get it? Way to look on the bright side! I was joking with a friend that I was going to take his divided by 13 till mine's back!